Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Night time...

It's 10pm here at the office. You'd think I'd be alone in this cubicle now while all the corridor lights are switched off. But you are wrong. Everyone else in my division (casualty) is still here as well. There will be no scenes from the "Grudge" where I get stalked by a ghost and get murdered under my sheets going to happen.

When I went down to the U of I to promote my company I told the students there that my company had the most motivated and intelligent people in the business. I'm sure some of the students were thinking,"He's from that company, so he has to sing the praises for it". They are wrong. They have no idea.

The people here are extremely motivated. One of the guys in the office can stay here on a Sunday from 9am to 11pm just studying exam materials. He would go out from the room to eat and occasionally take a 5 minute break surfing the web, but then he'd go right back into the "danger room" and start revising material. We call him "the machine" in the office. Well deserved nickname. I imagine he changes oil from the socket behind his neck, yet I have been unable to verify that.

Don't even get me started on how smart the people here are. The Casualty office here has one of the highest passing rates in the CAS exams. And don't get me started on how hard those exams are. Maybe the exams are not that hard, as claimed by my brother who has never taken an actuarial exam. He's smart. And he could pass these exams with half of the effort that I go through.

I feel inadequate.

But.

I'm happy to be in the company of such great people.

No comments: