Thursday, March 12, 2009

SPM Results

Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia is becoming more and more pathetic. During my parents' time it was almost impossible to get all A's. Getting all B's was considered a huge achievement, one that would enable a student to study overseas on a scholarship. Today however, things have changed so much that the SPM has become a joke.

I remember taking the SPM in MRSM back in 2001. Boy that exam was hard. There was so much memorization, so much thinking, and even a lot of guessing involved in taking that exam. These days the SPM is set up in a way where people would just take 20 exams and get 19A's in em.

Ridiculous.

I truly believe that the younger generation is becoming smarter and smarter. No doubt about that. I see some of my juniors at the U of I and I'm proud that they are actually performing extremely well in their studies. On top of that, most of them are also very outgoing and adapt well to their new social environment.

But, I refuse to believe that the marginal increase in intelligence of youngsters today is increasing by such an amount depicted by the SPM. 19 A1's??? Seriously??? What 20 subjects did all these kids take??

Something has to be done to our education system. The memorization has to stop somewhere. Exams should not reflect entirely past papers but should be creative and innovative enough to challenge the young ones.

Every year our SPM results are getting better by a good margin... Should this continue? If I were the minister of education I'd put in a couple of actuarial exam questions in our Ad Math SPM paper.

Then I'd just sit back and see what happens.

No comments: