Saturday, November 14, 2009

Ruthless

When I am a buyer/purchaser of your product expect me to be ruthless when we do our deals. I am looking out for me, not for you, and your job is to impress me, make it seem as if I'm getting a bargain or a deal and not the other way around.

My apartment lease ends at the end of December this year. It's either I move out from this place by trying to find a lease at another place or I can just renew my lease. Either way, the decision is in my hands and I have the power. So when I went to the apartment office today to renegotiate a lease for three months, and they start acting all shady, they can damn well expect me to be straightforward on how I feel.

Adam: So is there a way that I can renew my apartment lease for three months?

Apt officer: Yes, but you would have to pay an additional 100 dollars.

Adam: Ok that's not so bad, so just a hundred dollars and pay my rent.

Apt officer: No, it's actually 100 dollars for each month.

Adam: ???? So you are saying that I have to pay 1035 dollars each month for my small studio?

Apt officer: Yes. So can we negotiate a lease for you to stay until April 30th?

Adam: Wait what? Doesn't my lease end in December? April 30th is four months not three.

Apt officer: Yes, but people tend to move in during spring time... around April 30th.

*starts to boil

Adam: Look, I am not going to pay 1000+ for a lousy small studio. I'm just not going to do it. If you charge me the extra 100 per month expect me to just move out. I have no problems leaving this place. And if I'm going to stay it'll only be for 3 months not four like you mentioned. I'll get back to you next week and we can renegotiate.

*act as if I'm going to leave the office in disgust

Apt officer: Wait, so if we can waiver the 100 dollars per month can we just sign the lease right now?

Adam: No. I'll get back to you.

*leaves

-------------------------------------------------

My apartment building is known for crappy service and it doesn't look good at all. They are desperate to find people to stay in the building, and if they were to lose one customer like me it's going to be a bigger loss for them as compared to me. Right now my brother lives in Purdue, Indiana so it won't be that difficult to rent a van and give him all of my furniture.

Moral of this story? Don't let people screw you over. Have an F them attitude. Look out for yourself first. There's no use for you to feel bad and strike a deal just because they aren't doing well. Do not care about how this economy is screwing everybody up. Take care of yourself first.

No comments: