Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Why Man U?

I hate it when people answer a question with another question. They probably think it sounds mysterious or intelligent, but in fact it doesn't. It just annoys other people. When people answer my question with another question it makes me think that - one; they can't explain their answer or - two; they are being defensive.

Just the other day I was in the office kitchen watching the Champions League match between Man U and Arsenal. While watching, one of the higher ranking bosses in the Chicago office comes up to me and asks me... Do you support Man U (Manchester United)? Then and there I said, "Yes, most definitely". Then I proceeded to explain why I supported Man U...

Now hold on, let's back up the story a bit. Ok. Try to imagine if he asked me that question and then I answered his question with another question. Imagine how that scenario would play out.

Scenario 1
Him : Do you support Man U?

Me: Do you think I support Man U? Is there anything wrong with me supporting Man U? Does it make you cringe if I support Man U?

Scenario 2
Him : Why do you support Man U?

Me: You got it all wrong buster. The question is, why not Man U?

These two scenarios are the most common scenarios when people answer a question with another question. The first one is because the person is being defensive. The second scenario is because the person can't eloquently explain their answer OR the person is just a dick and no one should be friends with him.

Either way, I would advise that people do not answer a question with another question.

Now, let's go to the topic that I really want to discuss. (Pretty long intro huh?). The real question, gents and ladies, is why do people support the sports teams that they support? Is there some clear algorithm that drives a man to become a Man U fan? Could it be that Arsenal fans support Arsenal because they like to speak French? Are Chelsea fans inspiring oil tycoons? How about Liverpool... OK I got nothing for Liverpool. As far as I'm concerned the team has no style or finest, they got nothing, nada.

The reasons I list below are reasons based on hierarchy. Reason 1 should be a stronger motivator for a person to support a certain team as compared to Reason 2... and so forth.

Reason 1:
Geographics. If you are from a certain city, you absofuckinglutely must support the team within your city. If you do not support the city team from where you live-in/are-from then you do not deserve to live within that city. Go pack your bags and move out. The land that you live on does not want you. If you are a plant on the ground you do not deserve sunshine nor water and you should perish.

Eg: I support the Malaysian badminton team. The Malaysian badminton team is my first priority as compared to the Manchester United badminton team.

Reason 2:
Family and Peers. If your family or close peers support a certain team, then you must also adhere to family/peer pressure and support the same team as well.

Eg: My brothers support Man U. My uncle works for AIG and gave me a Man U scarf free of charge.

Reason 3:
The team has one or two players that are too awesome to deny. If the team you support has exceptionally talented players that are extremely dominant, and plays the certain sport with such elegance that you enjoy watching him/her play the sport, you must also support the player's team.

Eg: Michael Jordan = Bulls. Eric Cantona = Man U.

Reason 4:
Winning. You do not want to support a loser team. A team that gets relegated to a lower division is not one that you want to be associated with. It is people's innate natural selection instincts to support a winning team. No one likes losing.

Eg: Amir should not support Newcastle because it has been relegated to a lower division. RIP.

Reason 5:
Being different. You do not always want to be like everybody else. Being different is cool. Why would you want to support the team that 90% of other people support? When the team that most people support win do you really want to be happy with 90% of the other people? Boring.

Eg: Ijai likes to support Liverpool because when Liverpool loses he is able to confide with 10% of his supporting friends. He feels special.

Ok I'd like to add more but I have a strict rule of writing fast when I write my blog entrees. If I get stuck it means I'm wasting too much time. Have fun everyone. Tell me what you think.

1 comment:

Faizal Rosly said...

aku memang kool. tapi itu bukanlah sebabnya aku menyokong liverpool. aku mula ghairah melihat liverpool setelah kagum dengan kehandalan steve mcmanaman menggelecek pemain2 sunderland di FA cup final 92.